Poultry and Gamebird Vet ServicesMount Vets offer outstanding poultry and game bird services to local farmers
Post Mortems and Laboratory Services
Instructions for Packaging birds for Courier Collection
Please enclose a letter sealed in a grip tight plastic bag with a submission form (that can be downloaded from this web site) giving a detailed history of the problem including number of deaths over the last week, feed and water consumption, any weight information or production data including egg quality for layers.
- Wrap the birds several times in newspaper or paper towel so that any discharges from the birds will be absorbed.
- Place the dead birds into a strong plastic bag.The birds should either be frozen or fresh dead with a cool pack next to them. Seal with tape or cable tie.
- Place this plastic bag in another strong plastic bag. Seal as before.
- Place the birds and bags into a strong cardboard box packed with paper surrounding them.
- Seal the cardboard box well in all directions with packaging tape.
- Write on the box with a permanent marker our address in capital letters.
- Also write ‘PATHOLOGICAL SAMPLES – HANDLE WITH CARE’ with the permanent marker
We provide detailed comprehensive programmes to commercial pullet rearers right down to an occasional vaccine at the back yard level. Accurate diagnosis of diseases is an important part of this strategy and having the wider picture of diseases that are prevalent in a particular geographical location also helps to formulate a preventative vaccination program.