UPDATES TO BEEF AND SHEEP GROUPS
Firstly, we want to extend a huge thank you to everyone who came to the meeting last month – we really were blown away by everybody’s enthusiasm! We have collated your answers and the majority opinion appears to be as follows:
- We will run separate beef and sheep groups.
- The beef group will be a subscription-based service. Most farmers requesting a subscription model were mixed farms so we will bear this in mind (see below for what’s on offer).
- The sheep group will be a free service, and will feature a lecture or farm walk once per year. We will try as best as we can to get this subsidised by third parties. The only snag with this is that sometimes the advice is not as impartial as we would like! Vet services to continue as they are for now.
- Pregnancy scanning, disease surveillance and parasite control are all utilised well on farms. Growth rate analysis and male fertility are not carried out as frequently – definitely food for thought!
- The most popular topics to be covered at events are fertility, disease, nutrition and lameness.
- The beef group will be benchmarked against each other and the national herd on various criteria – see attached benchmarking form and notes for more details. This will be free to subscribers but non-subscribers will be asked to pay £20 to take part.
As many of those who requested the subscription were mixed beef and sheep farms, discounts will apply to sheep work as well. The cost of this service will be £20 per month subscription charge and we are asking people to commit to a minimum period of 12 months. In return, you will be entitled to:
- Two free visit charges per year on pre-booked work. This will be discounted at the end of the year.
- There will be a 10% discount on time for all pre-booked work (excluding pre-movement TB testing).
- Free Red tractor (or other) herd health plan and no visit fee when we come out to do this.
- 3 free worm egg counts per year – discounted at the end of the year.
- One talk or farm walk per year. We would still love to have non-subscribers attending but due to the amount of work and costs involved in running these meetings there would be a charge to non-subscribers.
- Data benchmarking service with meetings to present results.
- 15% off male fertility exams, applicable to both rams and bulls.
The savings available increase the more proactive you get!
More details on wormer and flukicide products that we will be offering to follow, probably in a newsletter.
For more information or to subscribe, please do not hesitate to contact either Al or Charlie at the practice.
The subject of the first beef meeting will be “How To Run a Tight Calving Pattern”. Date to be arranged